Call for application for Post Doctoral Fellowship (PDF) and Senior Fellowship (SF) for the year 2016-17
ICSSR invites application for Senior Fellowship and Post Doctoral Fellowship for 2016-17 from Indian Scientists. Proposal should be in field of social science disciplines or may be of interdisciplinary in nature. Fellowships are reserved for SC/ST categories as per Government of India rules.
1. Senior Fellowships are awarded to established social science scholars for conducting research on specific themes and issues proposed by the applicants. The broad disciplines of study, within the domain of social sciences, are:
(i) Sociology and Social Anthropology;
(ii) Political Science / Public Administration;
(iv) International Studies;
(v) Social Geography and Population Studies;
(vi) Commerce and Management;
(vii) Social Psychology;
(ix) Social Linguistics / Cultural Studies
(x) Law / International Law
(xi) National Security & Strategic Studies;
(xii) Other allied Social Science disciplines.
2. Senior Fellowships are aimed at providing opportunities to outstanding social scientists to engage themselves in full-time research on important themes of their choice or to write books based on their research.
Eligibility for award of Senior Fellowship:
1. Senior Fellowships are awarded to social scientists with outstanding research publications. Social workers, journalists and civil servants, known for their academic interests with a record of publications may also be considered. Candidate should not be more than 68 at the time of submitting the application.
2. Scholars who are in regular teaching/research faculty positions in publicly funded University (including government funded or aided Colleges), or publicly funded research institutions, or ICSSR funded/recognized institutions may apply under the salary protection scheme.
3. At least 80% of the Senior Fellowships will be awarded to scholars under the salary protection scheme.
4. The selected fellows are expected to do full time research in India. They could however undertake field trip outside India, if the Expert Committee finds it to be necessary for their research. In such cases, ICSSR may reimburse travel expenses directly to the scholar as per Council rules.
5. While accepting any fellowships from the Council, a fellow should not accept fellowship from any other organization. A fellow would not be eligible for another fellowship from the Council for five years from the date of termination of fellowship.
6. Defaulters of any previous grant of ICSSR under any scheme will not be eligible for consideration until the applicant has obtained the clearance of the relevant administrative division of the ICSSR.
7. Besides, a conscious effort shall be made to favourably consider while sanctioning grants to women, minorities, differently abled persons and persons belonging to educationally backward districts as declared by Govt of India.
How to apply :
1. Applications will be invited through advertisements in leading newspapers, Economic and Political Weekly and Association of Indian University (AIU) Newsletter and on the Website of the ICSSR in April and will be received till 30th June each year.
2. All application must be forwarded by a public funded university or research institution or ICSSR funded / recognized institution.
3. All applications for Senior fellowship have to be made on the prescribed Application Form, as attached with these guidelines, along with all the following Annexure and Enclosures:-
Annexure-I Abstract of the Proposal on the Prescribed Format.
Annexure-II Brief Academic CV of applicant, along with two passport size photos
Annexure-III Two copies of Summary of Research Proposal in about 750 words
Annexure-IV Two copies of Detailed Research proposal in about 3000 words [Please use the guidelines for research] proposals provided in this document.
Annexure-V Institutional Profile of the forwarding institution.
Annexure-VI- Salary certificate and no-objection from the employer, if applying under salary protection scheme
Annexure-VII- Forwarding letter from the affiliating institution
Annexure-VIII- Duly attested SC/ST certificate, if applicable
4. All application forms have to be submitted in soft copy either through e-mail or online as the case may be before 31st July each year. Subsequently, a hard copy of the application along with two hard copies of the proposal, duly forwarded on the prescribed format with signatures and seal of the Head of the Institution where the fellowship is to be financially administered, should be sent to: RFS Division, Indian Council of Social Science Research, Aruna Asaf Ali Marg, New Delhi 110067.
5. Incomplete applications and those not duly forwarded shall not be considered for fellowship.
Procedure for award of Senior Fellowship:
All applications are initially short-listed by the ICSSR. The applications are thereafter evaluated by committee of experts, set up by the ICSSR. The Committee may invite the scholars for interaction if necessary. The recommendations of the Expert Committee are placed before the Research Committee/Council for approval.
Last date for receipt of application is 31 July 2016.
For more details regarding Senior Fellowship and Post Doctoral Fellowship visit