Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences – Department of Political Science
- Closing date
- 20 March 2017
- Level of education
- Salary indication
- €3,427 to €5,330 gross per month, based on 38 hours per week
- Closing date
- 20 March 2017
- 38 hours per week
- Vacancy number
The Department of Political Science is one of the departments of the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences (FMG). The College of Social Sciences (CSW) and the Graduate School of Social Sciences (GSSS) are responsible for the undergraduate and graduate teaching programmes in Political Science. The research within the Department is conducted in research programmes of the Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research (AISSR). The AISSR unites the social science research of the UvA, and is one of the largest research institutes in Europe.
The Department of Political Sciences invites applications for a tenure track Assistant professor in Political Theory. Candidates should have an excellent track record in research and should be able to teach courses in the field of Political Theory (BA, Master and Research Master). The applicant’s profile should fit the AISSR research program ‘Challenges to Democratic Representation’. The area of specialization is open, but there are teaching needs in one or more of political economy, gender studies, normative theory, and comparative political theory.
- Developing, conducting, and supervising high quality academic research in the field of political theory;
- teaching general and specialist courses in political science;
- have an innovative vision on BA & MA curricular development;
- (participation in) the acquisition of external research funding;
- a dynamic contribution to the to the research program of the political theory unit of ‘Challenges to Democratic Representation’through scholarly publications and participation in national and international research networks and educational initiatives.
- A completed doctoral thesis in Political Philosophy, Political Theory or other relevant fields in the social sciences;
- an on-going programme of research and publications, focused on international ‘peer reviewed’ journals and/or books published by internationally recognised academic presses;
- broad general knowledge of political science;
- expertise in a subdomain of the field of political theory;
- ability to provide excellent and inspiring teaching in political science at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
- ability to teach in English at all levels;
- the Dutch basic qualification in higher education (Basiskwalificatie Onderwijs; BKO) certificate, or a willingness to acquire such within three years.
Additional information about the vacancies may be obtained from the chair of the application committee:
You may also want to check the site:
The appointment will be temporary for three years, with the prospect of a permanent appointment if the conditions for tenure are realized. Based on a full-time appointment (38 hours per week) the gross monthly salary will range from €3,427 to €5,330 (scale 11 or 12) depending on experience. The salary will be increased by 8 % holiday allowance and 8,3 % annual bonus. The Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities is applicable.
Applications should comprise a letter of motivation, a full CV including a list of publications. These should be sent electronically in one document, preferably as a pdf-file to email@example.com. Please state vacancy number 17-056 as subject.Please do not send us additional documentation at this stage. The deadline for applications is 20 March 2017.
Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered.
No agencies please
for more visit: http://aissr.uva.nl/about/vacancies/vacancies/vacancies/content/folder/2017/02/17-056-assistant-professor-in-political-theory.html