Calling young people all over the world
Welcome to the online application process for the Young Leaders Programme at European Development Days 2017 (EDD 2017)!
The European Commission is looking for 16 extraordinary young people (aged 21-26) from across the world, with proven commitment and community engagement, to represent the work and impact on development achieved by youth. Young people are ‘movers and shakers’ in their communities and countries, and are key to solving the universal challenges outlined in the EDD 2017 programme.
The 16 selected Young Leaders will be invited to Brussels, Belgium, and all expenses (Visa, travel, accommodation) will be covered by the European Commission.
Debate with global development leaders, actors and stakeholders
As a Young Leader, you will be invited to come to EDD 2017 in Brussels, to speak in the Auditorium panel discussions of the forum, along with key political leaders. You will have the opportunity to present your story and challenging ideas to the audience, and to engage with key global actors, including governments and international organisations delegations.
Each Auditorium panel addresses one of the EDD 2017 topics, which you can read about here. You will be chosen to speak on one of these topics. You must therefore apply to be considered under at least one of the topics: you can choose up to 3 topics, and according to your expertise and experience, you might be considered for one of them.
In addition to speaking in the forum’s highest-level debates, you will have the opportunity to participate in other sessions to help shape the development policies and practices of the 2030 Agenda.
The Young Leaders Programme lasts for 10 days in total: prior and during the forum, you will have the opportunity to visit the European Union institutions, meet relevant development policy-makers, participate in inspiring workshops and present practices from your region.
- Applicants must be between 21 and 26 at the time of the forum (7-8 June 2017).
- Applications are open to young adults from all around the world, without restriction of nationality.
- Applications must be submitted in one of the following official European Commission languages: English / French / Spanish. The candidate must be able to speak clearly and comprehensively in one of these languages, as well as have a mandatory intermediate level of English.
- Applicants must be able to travel to and participate in EDD 2017 in Brussels (Belgium) from 31 May to 10 June 2017. Evaluation criteria
We will evaluate your application based on three criteria:
- 40% Your knowledge of your chosen topic and the relevance of your active engagement. We encourage candidates to show how their activities have had an impact on the community.
- 30% Your role as a representative of an organisation, other youth or community, and your leadership experience or potential.
- 30% Your public speaking skills and ability to speak at a high-level panel.
You will find the application form on your personal dashboard of the European Development Days website.
Note that you will be required to create a profile on the website before starting the application. Don’t forget to tick the box “I
want to apply for the Young Leaders Programme” when you create your profile.
Don’t forget that you should submit a completed form before Thursday 9 March 2017 at 1pm (Central European Time)! Should you require any additional information or assistance, please contact email@example.com.
We wish you the best of luck in the application, and we look forward to reviewing your proposal!
For more information click “Further official information” below.