About the Competition
Justice H.R. Khanna, one of the finest judges in the Indian Democratic History and a staunch believer of human rights, integrity and the role of the Supreme Court as guardian of fundamental rights in India is always remembered as the true champion of the Indian understanding of checks and balances and the Basic Structure Doctrine (Limits to Constitutional Change). The International Journal of Law & Management Studies (IJLMS) recognizing the enduring efforts of Justice H.R. Khanna conducts the IJLMS Justice H.R. Khanna Memorial Essay Competition every year. The competition is an initiative of the journal towards contributing towards one of the most essential laws sustaining and balancing the democratic setup and recognizing one of the most valuable contributions that a judge has made to the sustenance and qualitative enrichment of the Indian democratic experience.
Theme of the 2nd Edition
“Evolving Landscape of Tribunals in India”
1. Tracing the Historical Evolution of Tribunals in India
2. Finance Act, 2017: A step in the right direction?
3. Enlargement of Jurisdiction of HC vis-à-vis Functioning of Tribunals
4. An International Perspective of Tribunalization with focus on the Indian Experience
The list is not exhaustive and two sub-themes may be merged by the participants.
All students pursuing any undergraduate/postgraduate courses in any discipline from any recognized university/college/institution in India can participate in the competition. A maximum of two students can co-author and participate in the competition. Only one submission per team will be allowed. There is no limit of number of teams that may participate from an institution.
The competition shall have two rounds. The participants have to submit their summary/working draft of the essay in the first round of the competition. The Peer Reviewers shall evaluate the working drafts and select the top fifteen essays to qualify to the final round of the competition for review by the Judges Panel. The selected participants (qualified) then have to submit their final essays in the final round of the competition. The judges panel shall scrutinize and evaluate the final essays and select and adjudge the Top Essays as Winners/Runners-Up of the competition. There shall be a specific format for the Summary/Working Draft which is provided hereunder.
Format of the Summary/Working Draft (not exceeding 2500 words)
I. Abstract (not exceeding 300 words)
III. Other relevant heads
V. Proposed Recommendations/Solutions
VI. Bibliography and Complete References
VIII. Rules concerning the summary and final essay
1. The abstract and proposed recommendations/solutions shall not be substantially changed in the Final Essay. 2. All essays and drafts submitted shall become the sole property of International Journal of Law & Management Studies which may have the right to publish the entries in the form of a journal.
3. International Journal of Law & Management Studies possesses the right to reject entries which do not conform to the Guidelines and other rules or for any other reason provided.
4. The Organizing Committee reserves the absolute rights to cancel, defer, or postpone indefinitely, the competition in the event of the accruing of any incident, natural or man- made.
5. In case of any dispute, the decision of the Editor-in-Chief and Convenors shall be final and binding.
Registration & Eligibility-
You can register for the competition by logging to the website (link provided below) and clicking on Register Now. Registration is free for the first twenty-five registrations (25 registrations) For other details regarding Eligibility, please refer to the Brochure and for other details regarding the Fee for registration, kindly log on to the link provided below
For any queries, please contact-
Shashank Kanoongo, Convenor (+91-9975169571)
Samiya Zehra, Convenor (+91-7066538705)
Shruti Sharma, Co-Convenor (+91-9919340744)