Global Programme Coordination Intern
Organisation: United Nations Volunteer (UNV)
Apply By: No deadline
Location: Bonn, Germany
Global Programme Coordination Intern
In nearly fifty years of work in more than 140 countries UNV has amassed a considerable wealth of expertise in strengthening the complementary roles of public institutions and people in peace & development.
UNV’s global network of thousands of UN Volunteers, of all ages and from all walks of life, stimulates innovation and collaboration. This has a revitalizing effect on the work of our partners. As a bridging organization between the UN, civil society and governments, UNV is ideally suited to facilitate the effective and inclusive engagement of civil society and community groups, enabling grassroots mobilization and expanding civic engagement for development. UNV, whose volunteers are overwhelmingly from the Global South, is able to facilitate the transfer of skills and experience across different groups of developing countries.
UNV’s five global programme areas (Securing access to basic social services, Community resilience for environment and disaster risk reduction, Peacebuilding, Youth, National capacity development through volunteer schemes) seek to address the most pressing issues of today, and build on the considerable technical expertise and networks that UNV has developed in nearly half a century of working at the grassroots to policy levels in more than 140 countries. Having a programmatic approach enables UNV and its partners to link initiatives at global, regional and national levels to common outcomes, focused on a clearly-defined results approach.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Project Coordinator, the intern will support the implementation of projects through communicating with project partners, UNV Field Units as well as research and monitoring developments through different channels. Depending on the competencies and interests of the interns, assignments will include:
- Assist with the collection and processing of project documents.
- Support the coordination of project development.
- Assist the preparation of workshops
- Monitor, analyze and synthesize developments, press clippings and reports with regards to the relevant global policy frameworks and developments.
- Develop reports or policy briefs with reviews of practices, lessons learned, and recommendations on good practices in relation to the integration of volunteerism into the relevant policy frameworks.
- Research, collect, analyze and edit documents related to evidence of the impact of volunteerism on peace and development. Assist project activities at UNV HQ in general.
- Take minutes and prepare presentations and documents for in-house committees and Field Unit.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
Education: Completed undergraduate degree (Bachelor) and current enrollment in a Master’s degree or equivalent. Only those students who will return to their studies upon completion of their internship assignments are eligible;
- Field of study: Development-related fields such as economics, international relations, anthropology, sociology, public or business administration, or environmental studies. Other fields of study may be considered depending on the type of assignment.
- Language skills: Written and spoken proficiency in English and preferably in an additional official UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Chinese)
- Demonstrated interest in the field of development and the work of international organisations.
- Previous experience in: organization of workshops/ events – partnership building and stakeholder consultations – and/ or communications and campaign management – and/ or research and policy development as well as experience in developing countries is desirable. – Knowledge of the UN work environment an advantage.
- Enthusiastic about the role of youth volunteerism and participation in peace and development and ready to learn. Experience in non – formal education an asset.
- Good oral and written communications skills and demonstrated research abilities and interest Internet proficiency as well as proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is required. Experience with the development of statistics, charts in Excel and Web 2.0 tools (especially social networking) an asset.
- Experience in volunteering a strong asset.
Note: The Internship Programme operates on a non-remunerative basis. Costs and arrangements for travel, visas, accommodation and living expenses are the responsibility of the intern or his sponsoring institution or government. UNV accepts no responsibility for the medical insurance for the intern or for any costs arising from accidents and/or illness during the internship period. Applicants are required to provide evidence of adequate medical insurance coverage.
How to Apply-
Email your application along with CV to email@example.com