FULLY FUNDED RESEARCH FELLWOSHIP: THE MATSUMAE INTERNATIONAL FOUNDATION Tokyo, JAPAN.
The Matsumae International Foundation (MIF) is a nongovernmental organization whose Fund is solely based on donations from many Japanese people who have responded with goodwill to Dr. Shigeyoshi MATSUMAE’s call. While many donations have been kindly offered by corporations and groups, most of the donors are individuals who are sympathetic with the Founder’s ideals, and maintain contributions to the Fund from their limited incomes. Successful applicants are urged to seriously consider and understand the goodwill of those persons, and ensure that the provided fellowships are utilized effectively.
- Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all of the following eligibility requirements are invited to submit the required application documents.
- Applicants must obtain a Letter of Invitation from host institutions in Japan.
- Applicants must hold a PH.D. (Doctorate) degree, or be recognized by MIF as possessing equivalent academic qualifications.
- Applicants must be at the age of 49 years old or younger at the time when documents are submitted.
- Applicants must have sufficient abilities in the English or Japanese languages.
- Applicants should not have past or current experiences of staying in Japan. (Except for short-term stay. E.g. sightseeing, conferences)
- Applicants should be in employment in their home countries, and must return to their countries upon completion of their MIF fellowship tenure.
- Applicants must be of sound health.
PERIOD AND NUMBER OF FELLOWSHIPS:
- Applicants indicate the period of Fellowship with the length of stay needed for the Research Project (Application Document #2) between 3 to 6 months, and commencing month and ending month between April 2019 and March 2020. (e.g. 5 months from June 2019 to October 2019)
- MIF plans to invite about 20 researchers/scholars.
HOST INSTITUTION IN JAPAN:
Applicants are free to select host institutions (universities, national research institutions or the corresponding facilities in private sector) in which to carry out their research. However, applicants are reminded that they are obliged to obtain acceptance from such host institutions prior to submitting their applications. MIF is not in a position to give advice or recommendation to an applicant for a host institution in Japan.
- Applicants should obtain the current issue of the Fellowship Announcement from MIF. Or download the announcement from the MIF’s website and print out the Application Form in PDF-format or MS Word file.
- MIF cannot entertain requests for waivers of the eligibility requirements and other conditions, listed in the Fellowship Announcement, and will not accommodate such requests.
- Application must be submitted from the applicant’s home country. MIF accepts those submitted by post. Those applications submitted electronically or via facsimile will be unacceptable.
- Application must be received by MIF by 17:00 on August 31, 2018 (Japan Standard Time). Application will not be accepted in any reason after the deadline date.
- All of the following documents (#1-#7) should be in A4 size and be submitted all together in one package by postal mail.
- All documents must be type-written. Hand-written documents are not basically accepted unless adequate reason is recognized by MIF. Documents must be written in English and in English only.
- MIF will not be responsible for any costs incurred for submitting an application, and reserves the right to request additional documents if necessary. All the documents received by MIF will become MIF’s property and will not be returned.
The list of documents to be submitted are:
- Application form
- Research Project
- A reprint of the most major publication by the applicant.
- Curriculum Vitae
- A letter of Recommendation
- Certified copies of all academic record.
- A letter of invitation signed by the professor/scholar-in-charge at the host institution.