COURSE: Certificate Course on IP Licensing and Competition Law, National Law University, Delhi.
Intellectual property (IP) rights are fundamentally rights to exclude others from making, using, selling or offering to sell products and services that infringe on one’s IP rights. As such, the exercise of one’s IP rights is one of the few legal ways to reduce competition in a market economy. Antitrust law focuses on maintaining competitive market conditions against a backdrop of a large variety of market transactions between various entities who may be in horizontal and vertical relationships to each other. In the context of IP, it is the licensing of IP rights that is often the focus of antitrust policy. Specifically, when licensing is seen as going beyond the scope of the original patent grant (such as paying royalties in perpetuity), then it is likely to raise antitrust concerns. On the other hand, antitrust policy is also increasingly recognizing that many market transactions and private ordering mechanisms involving IP might be both pro-competitive and efficiency enhancing. It is this rich legal and policy landscape at the patent-antitrust interface that is the focus of this certificate course.
This course will cover topics such as introduction to patent licensing, market power and intellectual property, vertical integration involving tying, exclusive dealing, package or blanket licensing and anticompetitive royalty provisions, and horizontal restraints such as cross-licensing, patent pools, standard setting organizations (SSOs) and research and production joint ventures.
- The Centre for Innovation, Intellectual Property, and Competition (CIIPC) at National Law University, Delhi, is pleased to announce that Prof. Jay Kesan, Professor, University of Illinois and Dr Kirti Gupta, Senior Director, Economic Strategy at Qualcomm Inc. will be conducting\a five-day Certificate Course on IP Licensing and Competition Law, from 22nd-26th August, 2018.
- The sessions on 22nd-24th August, 2018 will take place from 2:30 pm – 5:30 pm at National Law University, Sector 14, Dwarka, New Delhi 110078. A two-day workshop on SEPs: Patent & Antitrust Issues in High-Tech World will be conducted on 25th-26th August, 2018 from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm as a part of the Certificate course at the Dome, Vivanta by Taj – Ambassador, Sujan Singh Park, Subramania Bharti Marg, New Delhi -110003
Who can apply?
- The sessions from 22nd-24th August 2018 is only open to law students who have demonstrable interest in the areas of intellectual property and/or competition law. Interested candidates must send in an email application, along with a statement of purpose (maximum 500 words), and their recent CV to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 10th August 2018.
- The subject title of the e-mail must be “Application for Certificate Course on IP Licensing and Competition Law.” Selected candidates will be informed by 15th August, 2018.
- The Certificate will be given only to those who have attended all the sessions of the course and the workshop.
- The workshop on 25th-26th August 2018 is open for early professionals, regulators, public servants, and academics working in the areas of intellectual property and/or competition law.
Interested candidates must send in an e-mail application, along with their CV, email@example.com on or before 10th August 2018. The subject title of the e-mail must be “Application for Workshop on SEPs: Patent and Antirust Issues in the High-Tech World.”Selected candidates will be informed by 15th August, 2018. The Certificate will be given only to those who have attended all the sessions of the two-day workshop.
There is no registration fees for selected candidates. However, CIIPC will not be responsible for reimbursing any expenses incurred by the candidates.
In case of any query, please contact Ms. Khushbu Kumari at firstname.lastname@example.org