SCHOLARSHIP: 2019 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP IN THE UNITED KINGDOM
Online application is invited from Indian national for ‘2019 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP TENABLE IN THE UNITED KINGDOM’ for pursuing Master’s & Doctoral degree programme commencing from September/October 2019. The Scholarships are offered by the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC), UK for the following Scholarships only:
- Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships (for low and middle income Commonwealth countries)
- Commonwealth PhD Scholarships (for low and middle income Commonwealth countries)
- Number of nomination:
- 52 nominations would to be made, out of which 13 nominations would be for PhD.
- The specific terms and conditions in respect of Master’s and Ph.D. scholarships areavailable on the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission’s website at the following url:
- Master’s: http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/terms-conditions-masters- scholarships-low-and-middle-incomes-2019.docx-1.pdf
PhD: For Ph.D Scholarship – click here. scholarships-low-middle-income-countries-2019.pdf
(i) The candidates who have received the offer of admission, from any of the university listed with the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission are only eligible to apply.
The list of university may be found at url:
ii) The applicant must be a permanent resident in India.
(iii) The applicant must be available to start his/her academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September/October 2019
(iv) The applicant must NOT be registered for a PhD, or an MPhil leading to a PhD, at a UK university or India university or elsewhere before September/October 2019
(v) The applicant must not be able to afford to study in the UK without this scholarship. (Candidates are compulsorily required to sign a declaration that they do not have access to sufficient funds to study in the UK).
(vi) Candidates who have already been abroad for studies/training/ specialization either on scholarships or on their own, for a period exceeding six months are eligible to apply, if they have beeninIndiaforatleasttwoconsecutiveyearsason10th January,2019afterreturningfromabroad.
(i) For Master’s course:
One should have completed or is expected to complete the Bachelor Degree by October, 2019. The academic qualification must have direct and applied relevance to the development theme selected by the candidate.
(ii) For Ph.D. degree:-
One should have completed or is expected to complete the Master Degree/Qualifying Exam, by October, 2019. The academic qualification must have direct and applied relevance to the development theme selected by the candidate.
Level of course:-
(i) Master’s Course (one year)
(Note: Master Degree programs which are less than 2 years in duration, are not equivalent to Master Degree in India.)
(ii) Doctoral degree (up to three/four years’ duration)
- Scholarship would be offered under following development themes and the candidates who have taken admission in UK university must apply under one of the themes:
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion and opportunity.
Selection and nomination:
- The candidates who have received an offer of admission from any participating universities, must upload a copy of the same on the Ministry’s portal at the time of online application, failing which their candidature will not be considered.
- The system would automatically generate the subject/theme wise list of students along with the name of the University.
- In case, there are more number of students than the available nominations, in that scenario,ranking of the institution as per the ‘QS Ranking 2019’ would be taken to draw the merit list.
- Anti-fraud Policy
The CSC is committed to administering and managing its scholarships and fellowships in a fair and transparent manner. For further information, see the CSC anti-fraud policy and the DFID guidance on reporting fraud available on CSC’s website at the following url:
CSC anti-fraud policy: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/csc-in-the-uk-anti-fraud- policy-and-procedure
The Ministry’s anti-fraud policy is enclosed and may be seen as ANNEXURE-I. GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS:
- Candidates who do not possess the eligibility criteria need not apply.
- Canvassing in any form will be a disqualification.
- It is very important that applicants who are in employment to which they wish to return after
- Completion of their studies in UK should have an assurance from their organization that on the final selection by the CSC, they will be granted sufficient leave to complete the study. Ingeneral, a candidate undertaking research for a Ph.D. can be expected to need 36/48 months’study in the United Kingdom even though in the first instance, the award will only be offered for one or two years.
- All announcements will be made available on the website of the Ministry of Human Resource Development i.e. www.mhrd.gov.in/scholarships .
- The nominated candidates will be informed through e-mail and public notice on the Ministry’swebsite.