CALL FOR APPLCATIONS: UNIVERSITY OF KERALA ,Thiruvananthapuram:
- Applications are invited online from eligible candidates for registration to full- time/part-time research leading to Ph.D Degree of the University, for January 2019 Session, subject to availability of vacancies.
- Candidates shall carry out their research under approved research supervisor in the University Departments or in a research centre duly approved by the University. Regulations for Award of Ph.D Degrees, University of Kerala, 2016 effective for registration from July 2016 Session onwards is available in the University website.
ELIGIBILITY AND RELAXTION OF MARKS
Candidates for admission to the Ph.D programme should have
- Masters Degree or a Professional Degree recognized as equivalent to the Masters Degree of the University of Kerala in Grade ‘B’ in the UGC 7-point scale (Or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) with not less than 55% marks OR an equivalent degree from a foreign educational institution accredited by an Assessment and Accreditation Agency which is approved, recognized or authorized by an authority, established or incorporated under a law in its home country or any other statutory authority in that country for the purpose of assessing, accrediting or assuring quality and standards of educational institutions.
- Qualified in the entrance test conducted by this University or National Eligibility Test conducted by the UGC / CSIR /ICAR/ICMR or GATE or State Level Eligibility Test conducted by the Kerala Government or Fellowship awarded by the Cenrtal and State Govt. Departments/Agencies as approved by the University, M Phil Degree by research and thesis. The validity period if any of such qualifications are counted for granting admission.
(i) Candidates who have passed the M.Phil Programme with a minimum of Grade ’B’ in the UGC 7-point scale (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its
equivalent. The M Phil Degree shall be in the discipline concerned in which the applicant is seeking registration and degree should be obtained from a recognised University.
(ii) A candidate for whom M.Phil dissertation stands evaluated, but the viva voce remains yet to be scheduled are also eligible to be admitted to the Ph.D programme provided the eligibility conditions are fulfilled prior to the date of the Doctoral Committee.
(iii) Candidates possessing a degree considered equivalent to M.Phil degree of
an Indian Institution, from a Foreign Educational Institution accredited by an Assessment and Accreditation Agency which is approved, recognized or authorized by an authority, established or incorporated under a law in its home country or any other statutory authority in that country for the purpose of assessing, accrediting or assuring quality and standard of educational institution, shall be eligible for admission to Ph.D programme.
RELAXATION OF MARKS
- A relaxation of 5% of marks, from 55% to 50% or an equivalent relaxation of grade shall be granted to those belonging to SC/ST/OBC (Non creamy layer)/differently abled and other categories of candidates as per the decision of the University/State Government from time to time or for those who had obtained their masters degree prior to 19th September 1991.
- Eligibility marks of 55% (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) and the relaxation of 5% to the categories mentioned under (1) above are permissible based only on the qualifying marks exclusive of the grace mark procedures.
II. EXEMPTION FROM ENTRANCE TEST
The following categories are exempted from qualifying the entrance test for registration to PhD.
- Regular College/University teachers who have 7 or more years of teaching experience are exempted from the entrance test.
- Scientists working in approved research laboratories either owned or managed by the Central/State Government or in Autonomous Research Institutions of National status, with 7 years experience in Grade Scientists having two research papers published in the recognized research journals of the subject concerned approved by the UGC.
- Candidates with DBT/JRF are permitted to register for research leading to Ph.D Degree in Biotechnology.
- Candidates with DST-INSPIRE fellowship.
- Those students who qualify UGC-NET/JRF, UGC-CSIR-NET/JRF, SLET, GATE and Research Fellowships of Central or State Government Departments/Agencies as approved by the University, as the case may be.
- Teacher Fellowship holders and M.Phil Degree holders seeking registration for Ph.D shall be required to qualify Entrance Test in case registration is sought in a different discipline other than that specialized at PG/M.Phil Degree levels respectively.
III. ALLOCATION OF SUPERVISORS/AVAILABILITY OF SEATS
The allocation of supervisors/registration to the PhD programme shall be done in strict compliance with the Regulation for the award of PhD Degree, University of Kerala,2016 implemented in the University vide UO No.AcE1/10685(1) 2016 dated 12/08/2016 in accordance with the UGC Regulations 2016.
- Only regular faculty shall be permitted to continue as research supervisors for thepurpose of registration of candidates.
- In the case of Scientists in the regular service in research laboratories of Central/State Government, located in the geographical jurisdiction of the University, approved as Research Supervisors, the Scientist in Grade-D, Scientist Grade-E and Scientist Grade-F & G are equated with Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and Professor respectively, exclusively for the purpose of research supervision.
- A Professor as Research Supervisor/Co-supervisor, at any given point of time, shall guide not more than eight Ph.D Scholars; an Associate Professor as Research Supervisor shall guide up to a maximum of six Ph.D Scholars; and an Assistant Professor as Research Supervisor shall guide up to a maximum of four Ph. D scholars. (Even if a teacher/Scientist is an approved guide in more than one discipline the total number of students he/she can guide at a time shall remain unchanged).
- The Department, in case of topics which are of inter-disciplinary nature and where the expertise in the Department has to be supplemented from outside, may nominate a Supervisor from the Department itself as a Research Supervisor and a Co- Supervisor from outside the Department/Faculty/College or other Institution on such terms and conditions as may be specified and agreed upon by the consenting Institutions/Colleges and duly approved by the University.
- Registration shall not be granted under Teachers/Scientists who have retired from the service of the University/affiliated colleges/approved research institutions, adjunct faculty, visiting faculty, technical staff, administrative staff, Library staff and teachers serving outside the geographical jurisdiction of the University.
- Allocation of research supervisor for a selected research scholar shall be decided by the Department Doctoral Committee concerned depending on the number of scholars per research supervisor, available specialization among the research supervisors and research interests of the research scholars as indicated by them at the time of interview.
- The Department Doctoral Committee concerned shall prepare a list of eligible scholars in line with clause 6 above and allocate the scholars, in the list, to the Research Supervisors giving due consideration to research interests of the scholars as indicated by them at the time of interview and willingness of the research supervisor.
8. Vacancies available in each subject can be ascertained from the downloads of the research portal website http://www.research.keralauniversity.ac.in. SC/ST/OBC candidates shall be eligible for reservation benefits for registration as per the rules existing in the State Government/University from time to time provided they fulfill the other required eligibility conditions in general
IV. CLEARANCE OF ETHICS COMMITTEE IS MANDATORY FOR RESEARCH WORK INVOLVING HUMAN SUBJECTS
V. EXEMPTION FROM RESEARCH METHODOLOGY PAPER OF THE COURSE WORK EXAMINATION
1. Scholars admitted to the Ph.D Programmes shall be required to complete the course work prescribed by the Department during the initial one year from the date of registration for research, failing which the registration for research shall be cancelled. The re-appearance of the scholar for the courses in which required credits are not secured shall be permitted within the duration of one year specified.
Only those M.Phil Degrees which have Research Methodology course in the curriculum will be considered for exemption from the Research Methodology paper of the course work examination.
2. Scholars already holding M.Phil Degree and admitted to the Ph.D Programme , shall also have to successfully complete the Ph.D course work, except course(s) on Research Methodology, prescribed by the Department within one year, as specified in clause (1) above.
VI. PART-TIME REGISTRATION
- Part-time research for Ph.D shall be allowed subject to the availability of vacancies provided all the conditions mentioned in the extant Ph.D Regulations are met in full irrespective of part-time/full-time research.
- Part-time research is restricted to regular teachers working in Govt./Aided Colleges within the jurisdiction of the University of Kerala.
- Applications for Part-time registration should be accompanied by a No Objection Certificate from the appointing authority with details showing designation and period of permanent service with the organization.
- Applications should be submitted online http://www.research.keralauniversity.ac.in
- The print outs of the application so submitted should be submitted at the time of Doctoral Committee along with attested and original copies of certificates and fee receipt. Applicants for subjects which are not being offered at the University Departments should submit the print outs of the applications along with all documents and cash receipt/DD to the Registrar, University of Kerala on or before 16.01.2019.
- In case of subjects which are not given access for online registration, if it has UGC/CSIR-JRF/DBT-JRF/DST-JRF(INSPIRE)/GATE candidates pursuing research, they are directed to submit a request duly endorsed by the Head of the Department specifying the details to the Registrar, University of Kerala on or before 16.01.2019.
VIII. REGISTRATION FEE
- Registration fee of Rs.520/- has to be paid, by way of Kerala University chalan receipt/Friends cash receipts/DD (an additional amount of Rs.10/- to be paid as service charge in case of DD).
- All remittances made by DD should be drawn in favour of the Finance Officer, University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram. The drafts drawn on SBI Branches payable at SBI Service Branch, Thiruvananthapuram and on District Co-operative Banks payable at State Co- operative Bank Head Office Branch, Thiruvananthapuram only will be accepted from candidates residing within the State. Those residing outside the State may submit SBI Drafts payable at SBI Main Branch, Thiruvananthapuram.
IX. LAST DATE
- The last date for receipt of applications online is 15.01.2019.
- The University reserves the right to reject any application for proper reasons adduced therewith.
- The registration for Ph.D shall be granted only on the basis of merit and subject to the availability of vacancies with the supervising teachers and as per the norms and regulations framed by the University in accordance with the UGC (Minimum Standards and Procedure for the Award of M.Phil/Ph.D Degrees) Regulations 2016.