Asia Pacific Leadership Fellowship Program 2019:
The Asia Pacific Leadership Program is Experiential, Relational, Transformative, Optimistic, and Impact-oriented.
Each year, approximately 25 Fellows are selected to participate in the APLP and join a highly diverse, active community. Fellows have at least 5 years of professional work experience and normally 8 to 10. APLP Fellows must have at least a 3 year Bachelor’s degree, and 56% of each cohort will also have completed a Masters degree. Cohorts typically have representation from over 18 countries and from every type of academic and professional background (as examples: science, business, development, politics, government, civil society, medicine, religious orders, art, finance, academia or research). The age of participants ranges from mid 20s to mid 40s with an average of 32 years old. There are no citizenship, age, or ethnicity restrictions.
What is the APLP Experience and its time commitment?
Leaders who can successfully navigate change require creative vision and the capacity to chart and act upon that vision. The APLP experience is designed to yield just these sorts of outcomes. Embracing and leading change takes time. The APLP is designed as a 4 month blended program in order to maximize the depth and breadth of learning. The program grows from building an introductory base in the launch week in Asia to applied place-based leadership activities in home settings to the Hawaii residential experience. Each phase of the program has a distinct purpose and connection to the whole. The APLP experience is first and foremost about change.
Together we engage critical processes of change affecting the region now and in the future. By stepping out of specific individual areas of expertise (for example by discipline or country) and developing new analytic and leadership approaches participants come to have changed perspectives. New insights on regional processes are coupled with opportunities to test and develop one’s leadership capacity through experiential work with diverse co-participants.
The outcome of this process is an ability not only to cope with, or understand change, but to lead it.
We are now accepting applications for the 2019 Asia Pacific Leadership Program.
December 16, 2018 – Early Application Deadline
March 1, 2019 – Final Deadline
- Bachelor’s degree – applicants must have at least a 3-year bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from an accredited U.S. College or University or from a recognized institution of higher learning abroad.
- At least 5 years of work experience
- A demonstrated commitment to promoting peace and prosperity in the Indo-Asia Pacific region through professional work, study or living experience
- There are no citizenship, age, or ethnicity restrictions.
- Leadership track record in professional, public, and/or personal realms
- Willingness to engage fully in experiential leadership development training
- Deep involvement in a specific organization, business or community impact initiative (applicants must explain how, with their home-setting teams, they will experiment with the leadership strategies learned in APLP)
- International experience and aptitude, including overseas residence, language skills, intercultural and diversity exposure
- Experience of cohort learning, working collaboratively in small teams or in large groups.
Eligibility requirements and application information is available on the APLP website at: http://www.eastwestcenter.org/aplp.
For more details regarding other conferences, internships, events and much more download the app.