General Instruction: Give dates with all the details.
Before applying to any US universities, you need to have GRE and TOEFL scores.
The following questions should be addressed in your SOP:
1. School and university details with subjects and the reputation of the university.
2. What was the major in under graduation and why did you do your undergrad in a particular subject
3. What were the subjects you liked in your undergrad?
4. Your grades in undergrad and mention any high grades.
Following 5, 6, and 7 points are to be answered if applying for PhD:
5. What was the major in master’s degree?
6. What were the subjects you liked in your master’s?
7. Your grades in master’s and mention any high grades.
8. Why did you chose Master’s or PhD? What interests you in the particular subject you are applying.
9. Why are you applying to this university such as the faculty with names, details of any research going on in the university?
10. What are the strong points in the subject you are applying? How have your work experience or degrees until now have informed your understanding of the subject?
11. Extracurricular activities in undergrad or master’s such as leader of any society or member of any club, or voluntary work?
12. Any projects in college and learning experience with dates.
13. Any work experience (including internship), give details about the kind of work and experience you gained. Any specific events that can show your ability at work.
14. Any extra certificate courses you have done or doing? Give details and how will this contribute towards what you are doing?
15. Which course, degree and university you are applying?
16. Why do you want to do this course?
17. Career goal: Where do you see yourself in future and why?
18. List all the seminars, training, presentations you have taken during university or working (including internship).
19. Do you have any publication?
20. What are you future plans after completing Master’s or PhD such as work in a particular industry, teach, and work in an international organization.
21. Any particular book, person, personal experience of any kind, or community service have inspired you? Give details.
22. Your strengths and weaknesses.
23. Where do you see the scope of change in yourself?
24. Where do you see yourself ten years down the line?
Flow of SOP:
1. Introduction: Why do you want to get into this field? What interests you in this field and how can you relate yourself to this field?
2. Give details of your education:
a. Undergrad: University/College name, grades/marks in university, subjects that interested you, what did you learn in the subjects, reputation/rank of college or affiliation to which university.
b. Master’s degree: Your major, university/College name, grades/marks in university, subjects that interested you, what did you learn in the subjects, reputation/rank of college or affiliation to which university.
3. Write about the projects: Name of the project, details of the project, skills you learnt while doing the project.
4. Co-curricular Activites: such as technical fests, publications, and participated in any IEEE event.
5. Extra-curricular Activities and Volunteer work: Extracurricular activities in undergrad or master’s such as leader of any society or member of any club, or voluntary work?
6. Work experience: In progress, special achievements, and career graph. Any work experience (including internship), give details about the kind of work and experience you gained. Any specific events that can show your ability at work.
7. Why this course: Which course, degree and university you are applying? Why do you want to do this course? What interests you in the particular subject you are applying?
8. Future goals: What are you future plans after completing Master’s or PhD such as work in a particular industry, teach, and work in an international organization.
9. What are you future plans after completing Master’s or PhD such as work in a particular industry, teach, and work in an international organization.
10. Any particular book, person, personal experience of any kind, or community service have inspired you? Give details.
11. Your strengths and weaknesses.
12. Where do you see the scope of change in yourself?
13. Where do you see yourself ten years down the line?
14. Career goal: Where do you see yourself in future and why?
15. About the university: Why are you applying to this university such as the faculty with names, details of any research going on in the university?
Sample Statement of Purpose 1
After successfully completing a four (4) year undergraduate Engineering degree and having four (4) years of industry experience, I would like to put to use the knowledge gained through my education and experience in obtaining a Masters in Software Engineering. An advanced degree will serve as recognition for my passion to be an integral part of advanced scientific and technological community and will satisfy my thirst to contribute positively for the overall betterment of the human technological prowess.
During my undergraduate study, I was blessed to have a great faculty at the Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering. They constantly drove me to achieve academic distinction. It was during this time that I was introduced to the diverse field of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering. I was fascinated with Digital Logic Design, Computer Architecture and Organization, Embedded systems, and Computer networks. I was very passionate in comprehending complex theoretical concepts in class and obtained a better grasp on subjects by applying such concepts in the laboratories. All my professors recognized my passion for application and encouraged me to use the laboratories after class hours.
My final year engineering project was “RFID Based Cold Storage and Transportation of Temperature Sensitive Food and Medication”. It dealt with the temperature monitoring of perishable food and temperature sensitive medication during transportation. The project required the usage of GPS for routing and tracking purposes. Integrating the RFID technology and GPS technology on a single platform was a challenging task. Owing to my comprehension of complex theoretical concepts, I was chosen as the Project leader for this particular project. I led my project team to success by developing a computer program using the VB script.
With my studies nearing completion, I wanted to gain industry experience. Having studied in the “Silicon City” of India, I was always fascinated by the growth and advancement the Information Technology field was able to achieve. It was in <Company> that I was made to undergo training on virtualization environment VMware. Although I come from an Electronics background, I was still able to take up the challenge of mastering the concepts of Computer Science and complete the training successfully. Post training, I was engaged in a project to design and maintain Virtual Infrastructure for one of the World’s leading firm in Cargo and Logistics and since then have been working on the same project.
My four year stint with <Company> is embellished with challenges and tasks. <Company> gave me an opportunity to understand the dynamics of working in a team and also provided me with many opportunities to lead projects such as disaster recovery testing and corporate auditing. I was recognized for my unique contribution of splitting an Active Directory application in live environment. My efforts led to a two-fold advantage to <Company> whereby it was able to reduce the time and effort required and save money for the customer. My leadership skills and decisive nature is appreciated and recognized by my peers. This experience has given me a tremendous insight to the functioning of the industry and its needs. Reinvigorated with the knowledge gained here, my yearning to contribute to innovations has only augmented.
It has always been a dream to study at the technological epicenter – The USA. I firmly believe being at a place where all the technological advancements happen would further my cause in craving to achieve higher goals. With this in mind, my research zeroed in on <UNIVERSITY>. It is a place which exemplifies the American education system and attracts talents from across nations and has the best in class faculty. I am confident that a Master’s Degree in “Software Engineering” from <UNIVERSITY> will strengthen my basics and propel me into greater heights in this field. Hence, with paramount confidence, I seek admission to the Graduate Program with financial aid. With eager anticipation, I will look forward for your acceptance and providing me with an opportunity to study at your university.
Download Sample of Statement of Purpose 2: Sample SOP_2
Also visit University of Chicago , School of Law website : http://www.law.uchicago.edu/alumni/magazine/spring11/intheirownwords
Also visit : http://www.law.uchicago.edu/node/1451
Team Knowledge Steez Sincerely appreciate Shaivya Verma , PhD Scholar, University of Texas at Dallas for providing such valuable information to us.